Ensnared
March 28, 2024, 04:17:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Big changes are coming soon!  Keep an eye open for more information!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register Chat  

Salvation's Rest (Open Thread)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Salvation's Rest (Open Thread)  (Read 2913 times)
The Real D

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary 500 Posts Level 4
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:14 am »

(This is what happens when you leave me in an empty chat room for a few hours...)

At the edge of Sanctum, near the inside gates of the large courtyard that housed the three buildings that made up the heart of the complex, was a small, nondescript building that most people didn't enter. It was a private place, one that people who shouldn't be there knew they were not to go. The place was left alone by officials and bureaucrats, guards and inspectors alike, because if the people who did visit the building there were any good at their jobs, no Organization crony in their right minds would mistake the place for a potential foothold.

Some had tried, of course. It had not ended well for them.

No, in that building, the occupants and the visitors were expected to police themselves. Best behavior was expected, and politeness encouraged. Because in this building, causing trouble could be the last mistake you would ever make.

This place was The Salvation's Rest, the unofficial Hero Bar of Sanctum.

The place kept it's doors open at all hours, day or night, and the tavern keepers were always prepared with a brew or meal of whatever a Hero might request after a long day. The fires were always warm, and there was no shortage of available beds for those who just needed a place to sleep for the night. And of course, perhaps most importantly, it was a place where other Heroes could meet and exchange tips, tactics, and tales of their adventures to others who would understand them - other Heroes.

For many of people who visited the bar, it was a treasured place, one of the few rewards that came with their rather thankless job. They defended it with a passion unmatched in even the most desperate of fights. Hence the Organization's lack of luck when it came to taking control of the place. Heroes did not like having their drinking time interrupted.

There are many tales of encounters that happened within the walls of the Salvation's Rest. Perhaps you'd be interested in hearing a few...

[Explanation: This is a thread for general Hero-Hero RP in a relatively relaxed setting. Anyone may join at any time, whether to talk to someone sitting around the place, or to sit around the place waiting for someone to talk to! I'm hoping this will kick off, so everyone just try to have fun with it!]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:02:42 pm by The Real D » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

The Real D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:11:19 am »

(And to start off off...)

Dacia fell onto her stool at the bar with a 'thump', face full of thunder, and waved down the woman currently tending the bar. With great restraint, she managed to, just barely, refrain from snarling at the poor girl, instead ordering her usual drink before dropping her head to rest on her arms.

Today had been awful.

It had started out well! She'd heard rumors of a village occupied by a small-time Mistress not far from the city, and had been given permission to investigate herself. An opportunity like that was uncommon, and if she'd done well on her assignment, she'dve earned more than a few feathers in her cap, not to mention a possible raise to her Sanctum-issued wages.

It was... not to be, though. The Knight shuddered as the memories of just how badly off course her day had gone washed over her, and she pushed them back down, snatching her drink out of the waitress' hand as she returned. She drank the thing down with a single chug, then handed the mug back, asking for another.

It was pretty clear she wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon...
Report Spam   Logged
Anirrex

The Philosophical Linguist

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Search
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:18:20 am »

"Now that is a drink that bespeaks a bad day if ever I did see one," Houtou chuckled a wry voice to Dacia's side. Seated there was as always well-wrapped figure of Houtou, his distinctive staff resting close by his side against the bar. The wind mage had taken to spending a lot of time in this locale in lieu of any sufficiently promising missions. Though he had come to the west full of idealism - well, sort of - but had quickly surmised the Sanctum's chances in most of the encounters it entangled itself in were... less than salutatory. What he had noticed was that the few successful missions that did seem to pass almost always involved well co-ordinated teams of heroes, not hastily assembled squads or brave loners. And so, he'd decided that the best course of action was not to throw himself headlong into the wars, but instead to do some reconnaissance... not of his enemies, but of his friends. Thus, he frequented the Salvation's Rest not out of any particular love of alcohol - not that he wasn't partial to a bit of sauce - but rather to get the lay of the land with regards to prospective comrades and sorry tales. The more you knew and all that.

"Put this one on my tab," he told the barmaid in reference to the second drink Dacia had just ordered. "Lass looks like she needs a dose of ale and relaxation, hmm?" As she bustled off to sort it, he turned his gaze to regard the dishevelled knight in a bit more detail. "So," he drawled after a moment. "Go on, share a tale with a chap. What happened?"
Report Spam   Logged

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein.
The Real D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:46:26 am »

Dacia grunted appreciatively as Houtou appeared to pay for her drink. It wasn't much, but after today, she'd damn well take it. "Brave man to use the dreaded R word around these parts," she chuckled darkly, straightening her back and throwing her head back, sweeping her long blond hair out of her face. "But, since you're paying for my drink, I won't hold it against you. As for my day..."

She sighed, and turned around in her seat, leaning back into the bar with a huff. Briefly, her eyes flickered around the patrons of the bar, noting Claire as well as her new drink supplier, before she began to talk. "Where to start? Did you hear about the incursion report from Glade? It's a small village, maybe a dozen or so miles away by road, if you leave by the front gate. Pretty isolated place though, mostly farmers and what not. Still, that close to Sanctum, any reports of Organization activity are going to get checked, right? Well this time they assigned me. Just go down there, they said, and check it out. Strictly reconnaissance, don't get into a fight. The report indicated a low powered agent, probably just a minion or something that got separated from their Mistress' pack, but they wanted to be sure before they sent a full force in..."

She waggled a finger in the air and closed her eyes, her voice taking a dip into bitter tones. "So of course it's not that simple. But I, sucker that I am, figured no real Organization member would be stupid enough to try something this close to the city, and agreed. Even went out solo, which... Yeah, I know, I know, dumb. What can I say, I'm a blond," she continued, clearly a long sufferer of jokes at her hair color's expense.

"So, down I went, figuring I'd check it out, and be back in time for lunch, and maybe get a bonus out of a good job done fast. And things seemed normal at first, like always, except the back of my neck was prickling something fierce. Really should have left then and there, but nooo, I had to try and investigate properly... So, I got down off my horse and went to see if I could find anyone... Annnd by the time I got back my horse was gone. Just... gone. It was a good horse too, the bastards..."

She paused, her drink having arrived, and took a sip. "Do I really have to continue, or do you get the idea?"
Report Spam   Logged
Anirrex

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »

"... well, at least you recognize the rookie mistakes, eh?" Houtou chuckled, seemingly unaware that what he'd just said was not a little cutting. His expression was so good-natured you had to wonder if he'd just misspoken and had meant to say something more kind. As for the truth... well, his policy was to speak the truth, no matter who it upset, but keep a smile on the face otherwise. And, to be honest, Dacia had made some pretty silly errors on her mission, as she seemed to recognize. Going solo had been the first one, of course, and by far the biggest. Everything else rather paled in comparison alongside that.

"Well, let's just be thankful you got back in one piece in both body and mind, shall we, eh?" Sipping his own drink, a rather weak ale that suited someone who spent most of their day here but wanted his wits about him, he gave a mock frown and leaned in towards Dacia. "... you did come back with your mind in one piece, didja not?" He leaned back and gave another wry chuckle to give the joke to his question before any offence could be taken. Fact was, if his new companion had been turned already, she was hardly going to just out and say it. Wasn't to say Houtou wouldn't be keeping an eye on her throughout the course of the evening, but then he'd learned to keep an eye on just about everyone he met nowadays. You never could tell, and there was no such thing as being too careful.

"As for whether you continue or not..." He gave a shrug of his shoulders. "Well, ya don't have to. But it might make for a good lesson, nay? Go over the old failures to be better prepared for the future and not-what." He took another sip of his drink. "Go on, spin a yarn. No one's judging you here." Not out loud, anyway. But Houtou judged only for pragmatism's sake, and he bore no ill will against anyone.

... well, except the masterminds of the Organization, obviously, but that was just a wee bit different.
Report Spam   Logged

The Real D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »

"Don't remind me," the Knight groaned, hanging her head in shame. "I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I wasn't, obviously. And yeah, I got back clean. I hope. If I'm not, then even I don't know about it. they checked me over in HQ about five times, though. If I start thinking they missed something I'll probably never leave home again, so..." She shrugged. Some dark prospects were just things you had to live with.

"Well, assuming I remember everything correctly (which I probably do, because if I got caught they'd probably set me up remembering nothing wrong), and if you wanna hear the rest, I can keep going, I guess. Let's see..."

"After I realized my horse was gone, and with it my fastest way out of dodge, I figured something was up. About time, yeah. So, now that I was being properly paranoid, I went back to checking out the town to see if I could find where they'd taken the thing. If they'd had the idea to take my horse, they probably had something waiting for me if I tried to walk out of town, and I knew pretty much zip about the situation, or about who I was dealing with. Always a fun situation to find yourself in."

She sighed and took another sip of her drink. "I was never what you would call a master of stealth... And this armor doesn't help matters, either. Fortunately there weren't many places to check. The place was pretty ramshackle, a few streets, a school, a church... And, since the church was packed full of people, it was pretty obvious where the one in charge was hanging out. I was kind of tempted to check the place out properly, try to get a better idea of who had done all this, but... Well, I'd screwed up enough for one day. I'm not that much of an idiot. I steered clear."

"So, there I was. Middle of a town with a full on Incursion getting underway, and me with no backup, no horse, and no idea what to do. And that was when I saw... her."

A shudder ran through the woman's body, her breath hitching for a moment at the memory... Then she shook her head. "Sorry. I did get hit a little. They told me it'll wear off in a few hours. Dunno if you know what it's like."

Dacia paused, and slowly drained the liquid from her mug, then waved for another. "Uh... Gimme a moment. I need to gather my thoughts a little, remember what happened next..."
Report Spam   Logged
Anirrex

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 02:01:50 pm »

Houtou didn't actually know what it was like. The one or two missions he had been on so far had, probably rather fortunately on his part, proven rather damp squibs - false leads, or the Mistress in question having moved on long before their arrival, or the like. So he had yet to enjoy that particular little one or life's pleasures. "Take yer time," he assured her easily. "I ain't had that joy myself yet, but I've heard what it can be like. Heard a lot of things around here, I do." He drank from his mug again. "So. Her. The Mistress, I'm takin' it? What sort we talkin' here? Cute lil' witch? Batshit beauty worker? Debauched sex worker?" He gave one of his dry chuckles. "Look on yer face suggest t'me the last o' those. But mayhap I'm wrong. Go on, you tell it. 'Tis your story, after all." He gave her an inviting gesture with his hand.
Report Spam   Logged

The Real D

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »

"She was... I mean... She... It's hard for me to say," Dacia finally gave up, shaking her head. "Trying to think about what she looked like just makes all those feelings swarm up again. Maybe I'll be able to tell you better another time. But, no, not the Mistress. I don't think I could have escaped if it was the Mistress."

She paused again, her tone becoming somber. "It was one of the Fallen."

There was a moment of silence that swept through the bar, as every hero in ear shot winced slightly, or at least shut their yappers for a second out of respect. Fallen were not a subject to take lightly. Corrupted Heroes who'd been turned against the people they once tried to save... Well, it wasn't something most people in this bar liked to think about.

Dacia herself let the moment pass before taking a swig from her newly delivered mug. "She caught me by surprise - I guess she was looking for me. I should have known that if they'd taken my horse, they'd be looking for me as well, but I just wasn't on my game today. So I took a hit from.. Something. I don't know what, it was pink and glowy, that's all I remember. And then I heard her speak, and..."

She shook herself again. "And I got angry. Really, really angry. It's how I trained to fight that sort of magic, you know? Convert it into rage, and attack. Kind of like a Berserker, except better looking. Which does wonders for my mood after it's passed, let me tell you," she finished with a grouch. "Things get a little fuzzy after that, but don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's because of the uncontrollable rage. I do remember throwing the girl through a window though. The Church window. So, I kinda let everyone in there know where I was. I'm pretty lucky I managed to get my senses back and start running after that... Well, after I punched a few of the villagers who came after me out."

Another swig of the drink. "After that, I decided to screw it, and just start running back. That lasted for five minutes, then I found the trap they left for me out on the road. It would've worked if I hadn't seen the same thing a few years back in Senanim. As it was, I managed to dodge it by taking an... unwilling trip into the river, and got washed along for a bit before I managed to haul myself out. Then it was just a few miles of hiking through fields and woodland I didn't know until I found a road... And managed to hitch a ride with a caravan passing along it back here."

"I reported in as soon as I arrived, but you know how it goes. By the time Sanctum's forces get over there, the incursion be long gone, and so will the villagers. 'Cus I fucked up, big time. So, uh, advice? Don't do any of that. Ever." She finished her tale, with a weary sigh, and brushed a hand through her hair, glancing at Houtou. "And that was my day. What'cha think?"
Report Spam   Logged
Slixer

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Spammer 25 Posts in one day Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »

"So this is what they call a Tavern is it. This seems like a thoroughly unhygienic place." a haughty voice rang as a brightly dressed girl in red entered the salvation's rest.

"Honestly I was expecting something a little better then this." She huffed slightly as she glanced around taking note of the patrons already inside, the steel of her boots scraping along the oak wooden floor as she began to wander around in a strange glee at exploring the new concept for herself.

Soon she noticed a blond conversing with a man, her sense of aesthetics where beginning to be aroused as one of her personal tastes seemed to appear in front of her. The armor clad girl seemed to be right up her alley and she couldn't help but spy on the woman from afar.
Report Spam   Logged
AC DF
Administrator

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:54:43 pm »

Softer footsteps would soon follow after the woman, though their owner said nothing as he entered into the bar. Daniel looked around and at the occupants in the establishment, his hands resting in the sleeves of his attire.

"Hm, so this is the tavern." He said to himself, curious as to whether such a place would serve sake or not. He noted the two sitting at the bar and the end of an awkward silence that had filled the bar. He said nothing to alleviate that, but his blue eyes would fall upon another woman spying on the group. He raised a blond brow.

"Miss, what exactly are you doing?" He asked quietly, trying to not make too much of a scene.
Report Spam   Logged
Slixer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »

"I'm inspecting the locals of course~" Nero retorted without giving a glance to whomever was interrupting her. "mmmm yes she's nearly as perfect as my beloved sister. Oooo if I was in my time I'd take her to my palace and ooooo~"

The blonde hugged her arms to her chest briefly as she seemed to fantasize about Dacia, briefly noting Daniels appearence as she did.

"Mmm I dare say you'd make an excellent serving boy to." She giggled as returned from her fantasy. "I'm glad to see at the very least this world is filled with delightful beauty for me to savour."
Report Spam   Logged
AC DF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:51:31 pm »

Her comments only served to make Daniel's brow rise even higher.

"I see...you must be one of the Servants I've heard about. You certainly aren't like the normal heroes around here..." He said, looking Nero over.

She was certainly attractive yes, but there was something off about her demeanor.

"You shouldn't say things like that aloud, people might mistake you for something other than what you are." He cautioned.
Report Spam   Logged
Slixer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »

Nero seemed to pause for a moment before whipping out a handkerchief from her sleeve and slowly wiping the drool from her lips.

"I simply do not know what you mean." she spoke sounding a little offended. "I am myself and my good self appreciates beauty!"
Report Spam   Logged
AC DF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:07:05 pm »

He rested a hand on her shoulder and began to guide her to a table.

"Come, explain this philosophy to me, Miss...?" He said, the true intent of his action to get the Servant out of earshot.

The last thing the Sanctum needed was someone being mistaken for a mistress and a big fuss going on.
Report Spam   Logged
Slixer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »

"What is to explain? Is it not the emperor's prerogative to select only the most perfect of individuals with which to share intimate company with?" Nero sighed wondering if Daniel's head was screwed on.

"Is it wrong to admire good music and wine? To observe good art and great acting? Honestly your not using your head!" Nero spoke in an over top manner, her passion for acting definately meant every conversation was to a certain degree theatrical.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: