Ensnared
April 19, 2024, 11:42:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We have a new chat room online!  Please see the "News" section for it's location.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register Chat  

Salvation's Rest (Open Thread)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Salvation's Rest (Open Thread)  (Read 2941 times)
The Real D

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary 500 Posts Level 4
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 02:40:04 pm »

"Every new 'friend' you meet is disaster waiting to happen, whether it be to yourself or to them," Saber replied, her tone growing heated. "Do you really think our enemies will hesitate to exploit such weakness? And as for culture, what relevance does it have to us? We are here for the war, no more and no less. Other causes are a distraction, a pointless waste of time." She snorted, and took another drink. "Were you not a ruler yourself? Would you endanger those around us now by prolonging this conflict?"

'King Arthur does not understand human feelings...' The fears and doubts of her people echoed in her head for the thousandth time. Was this what they had meant?

No matter. When she had her wish, such things would be put to rest once and for all...
Report Spam   Logged
Slixer

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Spammer 25 Posts in one day Second year Anniversary
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 02:56:52 pm »

"And what would a ruler be without their subjects," Nero retorted haughtily as she glanced back at Arturia, eyes no longer jesting but rather serious. "A ruler is only as strong as those around them. I will love my citizen's, my friends with all that I am."

'A fool whom panders to masses for love.' She would never let such thoughts beat her.

"I won't forsake who I am and who I was and I most certainly will continue to be myself. This conflict won't be ended by careless paranoia." she was quick to pour herself another bowl which she quickly down and slammed to the table.

Report Spam   Logged
The Real D

View Profile
Second year Anniversary 500 Posts Level 4
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »

"Heh." There was no joy in Arturia's laugh. Her voice carried as though she had found something so distasteful, she had no choice by to smile at its existence. "A ruler, only as strong as those around them? You jest. A poor King, such a person would make."

The air seemed to crackle with a strange tension as the two servants of the sword stared at one another. "It is the King's job to rule. It is their burden to carry the burdens of those around them. It is their duty to make the choices others can not. If you must burn a village to feed an army that will save the kingdom, then a King must order it so. To the ruler goes the right of the strongest arm, and the hardest heart."

She stopped, and looked away, seemingly coming back to herself. Who was she to talk? She had failed her people utterly. She should never have drawn the sword at all.

"A King must be alone. That is simply how it is."
Report Spam   Logged
AC DF
Administrator

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 12:44:11 am »

"Might I interject then?" Daniel asked quietly before shaking his head.

"I hardly know about the subject of ruling over a people, but...I would say that a king is nothing without his kingdom. He does not truly stand alone for if he did, he wouldn't be a king at all would he?" He asked, taking a sip of his drink.

"It is the people he rules and how he takes care of his subjects that makes a man a good king...but as I said, I am a novice at best when it comes to such things." He said, giving Arturia a little smile.
Report Spam   Logged
Anirrex

The Philosophical Linguist

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Search
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:42 pm »

"She was... I mean... She... It's hard for me to say," Dacia finally gave up, shaking her head. "Trying to think about what she looked like just makes all those feelings swarm up again. Maybe I'll be able to tell you better another time. But, no, not the Mistress. I don't think I could have escaped if it was the Mistress."

She paused again, her tone becoming somber. "It was one of the Fallen."

There was a moment of silence that swept through the bar, as every hero in ear shot winced slightly, or at least shut their yappers for a second out of respect. Fallen were not a subject to take lightly. Corrupted Heroes who'd been turned against the people they once tried to save... Well, it wasn't something most people in this bar liked to think about.

Dacia herself let the moment pass before taking a swig from her newly delivered mug. "She caught me by surprise - I guess she was looking for me. I should have known that if they'd taken my horse, they'd be looking for me as well, but I just wasn't on my game today. So I took a hit from.. Something. I don't know what, it was pink and glowy, that's all I remember. And then I heard her speak, and..."

She shook herself again. "And I got angry. Really, really angry. It's how I trained to fight that sort of magic, you know? Convert it into rage, and attack. Kind of like a Berserker, except better looking. Which does wonders for my mood after it's passed, let me tell you," she finished with a grouch. "Things get a little fuzzy after that, but don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's because of the uncontrollable rage. I do remember throwing the girl through a window though. The Church window. So, I kinda let everyone in there know where I was. I'm pretty lucky I managed to get my senses back and start running after that... Well, after I punched a few of the villagers who came after me out."

Another swig of the drink. "After that, I decided to screw it, and just start running back. That lasted for five minutes, then I found the trap they left for me out on the road. It would've worked if I hadn't seen the same thing a few years back in Senanim. As it was, I managed to dodge it by taking an... unwilling trip into the river, and got washed along for a bit before I managed to haul myself out. Then it was just a few miles of hiking through fields and woodland I didn't know until I found a road... And managed to hitch a ride with a caravan passing along it back here."

"I reported in as soon as I arrived, but you know how it goes. By the time Sanctum's forces get over there, the incursion be long gone, and so will the villagers. 'Cus I fucked up, big time. So, uh, advice? Don't do any of that. Ever." She finished her tale, with a weary sigh, and brushed a hand through her hair, glancing at Houtou. "And that was my day. What'cha think?"

Houtou took all that in with a calm expression - or at least, that was what one had to assume from his body language, since his face was of course hidden from view. "Whaddo I think?" he repeated once Dacia was done, taking a swig of his drink while he considered his response. "... I think ya fucked up big time, alright." He gave another sardonic chuckle. "You didn't bring yer A game today, that's the truth. Can't afford that sorta mistake, no? When we go in, we gotta be on top form, or we've already lost. 'Least, that's what I figure from what I've heard." He finally drained his drink and ordered another one, then leaned in a little closer to his conversation partner.

"Still," he said in slightly more conciliatory tones - not that he'd been particularly damning to begin with, more just matter-of-fact. "Yer alive, and more importantly ye've still got yer free will. 'Least, what's what we're assumin', eh what?" He gave a little cackle and gave Dacia a small pat on the shoulder to demonstrate that he was - mostly - joking. "Anyway, 'smore than most can say after an experience like that, and that's the truth. Believe me, I know. Been doing a lotta listenin' around here lately, I have." Beneath the cloth folds wrapped around most of his face, his lips creased upwards into a good-natured smile. "Ye've got some talent on ya, at least. Just gotta make the most o'it next time, eh what?"
Report Spam   Logged

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein.
DrgnmastrAlex
The one who won't let this place die >.>
Administrator

Lay off the poor beavers, will ya?! SHEESH!!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2013, 12:00:34 am »

As Arturia, Daniel, and Nero discussed the dilemma behind what makes a true ruler, another figure came in with no comment; she just moved towards the bartender, ordered some water, and sat down.  The looks she received were appreciative, with a hint of sizing up her attractiveness.

Joan paid no heed; she knew that such things would occur, and they were trivial to her.  Rather, she sensed her sisters in the tavern, and decided to drop in on them at her leisure.  A tavern was for relaxation, after all.

"...I could use a good neck rub, though.", she thought aloud.
Report Spam   Logged

Can it wait? I'm just finishing up on some callibrations.
Slixer

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Spammer 25 Posts in one day Second year Anniversary
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:55 am »

Nero's eyes narrowed as Arturia continued to berate her style of governance and yet she had to wonder if the girl truly believed her own words. Of course she wasn't surprised when Daniel's own input echoed her own she knew the average person would agree after all it was only the senate that ever questioned her.

"It seems my opinion is not just my own, an actor is nothing without an audience, without her cast, a king is no different. If you bare it alone then you'll understand no one and worse, no one will understand you."
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: