Ensnared
March 29, 2024, 06:46:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We have a new chat room online!  Please see the "News" section for it's location.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register Chat  

Jungle Excavation! The Mystery of the Serpent's Shrine! (Mak, Lapin, Kinny)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Jungle Excavation! The Mystery of the Serpent's Shrine! (Mak, Lapin, Kinny)  (Read 1944 times)
kinnykat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
500 Posts One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:41 pm »

Marie glared at the snake. "Thanks, Amiga," she murmured, aiming a fireball at the snake. That thing had royally pissed her off and she was never very good at keeping a tab on her anger.

Fireball- Marie will throw a ball of fire at her target- 85% 10HP

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:51:56 pm by kinnykat » Report Spam   Logged
Lapin Chéri

Dreamweaver.

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 01:28:59 pm »

"No problem."  Amiga nodded, holstering her six gun and snatching down her Springfield rifle, a wicked looking bayonet attached to the end, to finish off the snake if it hadn't burned.

Bayonet: 80%, 10 Break
 Can Fight Armed w/ Rifle in Grapple Range.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream a little dream of me!
makuta15
Administrator

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »

Fireball: 22

Although Amiga's speed in taking up arms was a testament to her skill, there was hardly any need. Marie's spell had charred the writhing beast. Greasy scorch marks streaked down past its grey hide. The beast's head had been neatly incinerated. The tail flicked one last time, then fell heavily as the creature's limp weight pulled it off the path.

"Good...good god!"

Emmett could barely tear his eyes away from where the snake had attacked. He turned his head swiftly from Amiga to Marie in amazement.

"We've seen them around in greater numbers as the excavation has progressed - we didn't think much of it for reason's you'll soon see, just that we had perhaps disturbed a nest. It's best not to disturb them - the locals say they can be quite venomous - but I've never seen one act like this before! Normally, they barely even stir!"

The excitable historian seemed torn between trauma and curiosity. Mopping his face with a pocket kerchief, he swiftly pulled out a pocket notebook and began jotting down observations.

"It's only a pity you had to destroy the specimen...well! I daresay after this we will all feel much safer with you two around."
Report Spam   Logged

Experiments are what I do, yes.
Lapin Chéri

Dreamweaver.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:33 pm »

Amiga touched the brim of her hat.

"Your aid request was a bit sly on details.  Marie n' I are mostly figuring to protect against claim jumpers now that you found yourself a dig site.  You after live snakes, a shoulda' hired us some wranglers. Something t' think about fer later, I reckon."

"I agree though, that there snake was powerful riled' to jump the three of us like that."

"Makes me awful curious bout' that there shrine a' yours."

Amiga reslung her Springfield rifle.  She did keep an eye out, in case she found a tree with a nice straight dividing branch she could use for a snake catcher.
Report Spam   Logged

kinnykat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 07:26:11 pm »

Marie relaxed a touch. "If you want something alive, I'm not your girl. Want something that's attacking you dead, then call me. It doesn't really affect people as well as it did that snake though," she said, a serious expression on her face. She quickly started to move down the path again.
Report Spam   Logged
makuta15
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 10:20:36 pm »

Recognition flared behind Emmett's eyes, and he shut the notebook with a snap.

"Yes! The shrine! Right! Well, we are close, now. Barring any more...unpleasantness...we should be there in another half hour."

Springing forth from the rock that had served as his impromptu desk, Emmett danced along the path once more, only to stop short as the ferns alongside the trail began to catch and snag at his shirt.

"Umm...if you ladies don't mind, then."

Compared to that last little bit of excitement, the rest of the walk was uneventful; Emmett seemed to be in high spirits once more now that the snake was dead, hanging behind the two ladies and rambling on about the need for security and secrecy now more than ever; his apologies to the Sanctum about the vague request but time really had been of the essence. The sun peaked, although it was difficult to tell under the jungle canopy, and began to wane. The sky was tinged with crimson before the path dipped abruptly around a scraggly tree, and opened up into what had to be their destination.

A dozen tents or so all surrounded the edge of a man-made precipice. Here, historians and archaeologists could be seen at work, hauling artefacts from one tent to another, making diagrams, arguing with each other. A few were followed by trailing orbs of magelight. The camp itself formed an arc around the path, which wove weakly in-between the tents before meandering downwards where it split the cliff in two. And there, in the heart of the valley, stood the shrine. Tall pillars of mossy stone flanked the statue of a woman, wreathed in gemstones. A large stone serpent hung languidly from her shoulders, curled around her leg, her arm...the statue was as much dedicated to the snake as it was to the woman. In fact, serpent iconography abounded, from the carvings of the grand arch of the roof - only half dug from the cliffside - and the ones that adorned the walls, to the sinuous shapes curling around columns themselves. Although the light was fading, it was just possible to make out a few more snakes adorning the excavated shrine - live ones, curled up around the statuary to sun themselves, or slinking lazily away into the dark recesses of the ancient building.

Back up at the hilltop, Emmett chuckled wryly. "I think you see why we weren't so alarmed by the reptiles at first."
Report Spam   Logged

Lapin Chéri

Dreamweaver.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 10:47:58 pm »

Amiga looked around, not seeing any immediate signs of violence.  "What'you reckon first Emmett?"  Amiga asked.  "Should we meet the crew? Talk security?"

Report Spam   Logged

kinnykat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:57 am »

Marie looked around quietly, inspecting the statue as best she could from this distance. It was a rather strange shrine. She half listened as Amiga spoke but didn't say anything as she continued to look around with a sharp eye.
Report Spam   Logged
makuta15
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:06 am »

Emmett continued walking, leading the women down into the camp as they spoke.

"Well, we'd want to get you all situated and comfortable first, of course. It is up to you if you would rather lodge at the village or in the camp; if you decide to stay with us here, I'll have one of the mages fire off a sending to the village so they know to bring down your belongings. As for the rest of the crew, most of them are still at work; the team hits the ruins bright and early, and most of them don't get back until the sun's gone down. After that, though, I'd be more than happy to give you the grand tour, the who's who, the what's what -"

He paused as they reached the center of the camp. Here, the main tent towered over the rest of the excavation site, and Emmett held the flap open with a bow. Inside, an immaculately arranged assortment of charts and maps lined the canvas walls, all spread out and marked with a plethora of pins and points of significance. Two braziers burned with a soft white light which floated above the sconces, giving off no discernible heat. A small meeting table took the center of the tent, with wide low benches designed to accommodate a significantly sized debate; a service table next to it bore a lacquered tea service. In the back of the tent was a small hammock, and in front of that, a wide desk that groaned under the weight of a mountain of messily stacked papers. Behind the desk was the tent's main occupant, an elf in studiously simple robes. He did not seem to notice that he had company at first, absorbed as he was in comparing a flaky scroll with a chart of the desert territories. He only looked up as the heavy canvas flap fell shut with a snap.

Emmett waved the elf over in his loud, cheerful manner. "Ah, ladies, this is Haden, one of our top historians. Haden! Come say hello to the newest help from the Sanctum! These ladies already saved my hide from one of those giant reptilian brutes once today."
Report Spam   Logged

Lapin Chéri

Dreamweaver.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »

Amiga waited, giving Haden a chance to speak first, but it seemed he was not inclined to leave what he was doing to come over or say anything. His indifference amused her, as did Emmett's description of the aggressive viper as a 'giant, reptilian brute'.  It had only taken one shot to kill the thing, after all.

A half smile began to creep over her face. To hide it, she tipped her hat in his direction.  "Mr. Haden."  She said simply, and checked on Marie.
Report Spam   Logged

kinnykat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 06:39:39 am »

Marie murmured a quiet hello. She did smirk slightly at how caught up in his work Haden was. Emmett entertaining as well, though she didn't say anything else.
Report Spam   Logged
makuta15
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »

The elf jerked up from his seat at the sound of intruders, plunging his sleeve precariously close to a loose inkwell on the desk. Closing his eyes, he appeared to take a moment to compose himself before fluidly rising from the chair and gliding out to greet Amiga and Marie.

"I must thank you for saving my rather...excitable companion here," he said, bowing and taking each woman's hand in turn. "He can be, ah, a bit overenthusiastic at times, but his knowledge truly has been invaluable."

Haden's half-exasperated sigh spoke volumes. Emmett remained unabashed, grinning impetuously from ear to ear. Motioning for his visitors to have a seat at the little table, Haden began to fill little cups of tea.

"Still, it does seem odd that the fauna would be agitated by your presence. Actually, everything about those snakes has been odd. My research has led me to believe they weren't even indigenous to this region. In fact, I'm glad you're all here, because more and more research seems to indicate that everything about this temple - the architecture, the deities depicted, the craftsmanship - suggests the heavy influence of an outside civilization."

He paused to sip his tea and to allow his revelation to settle.
Report Spam   Logged

Lapin Chéri

Dreamweaver.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 09:03:07 pm »

Amiga sat where indicated, and listened until Haden paused.

"An outside civilization? Whose?  Do you mean like a neighbor, or are you talkin' across the pond?"
Report Spam   Logged

kinnykat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 10:50:38 am »

Marie sat and murmured a quiet thanks as she took a cup of tea.

"Have you found any clues as to which civilization might have influenced this place?" She asked, quite curious.
Report Spam   Logged
makuta15
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:10 pm »

Haden smiled matter-of-factly as he launched into his pitch. Like any researcher, he seemed to relish the chance to show off the fruits of his labor.

"Well, that's the interesting thing, actually," he said, wrapping slender digits around his own teacup. "The primary indication is simply how different the building is to any of the local constructs. In these wilds, we've seen Sun deities, Green Men - spirits of natural elements, often open or on a hilltop. But there are no known records of snake gods in this region. If I had to guess, I would wager that what we have here is the result of some missionary encounter - a tribe that was converted by an invading element. But the strange thing is, there don't seem to be any civilizations on record that match what we are finding in the temple. What we have been able to decipher speaks of some Goddess or another - and it is clear that snake-worship is involved in some fashion. But aside from the snakes themselves, we have found very little else to go on. That's what makes this site so fascinating."

The daylight hours had dwindled as they spoke. Night fell heavily over the camp. Although the light from the torches and braziers bathed the tents in light, outside a murky darkness descended. Even though stars peeked out from above the canopy of the trees, there was something in the air - humidity, perhaps? - that was almost smothering.

And still the camp was quiet...oddly so, for an excavation of this size. Emmett coughed and stirred his tea.

"Aah...the crew should be back by now. I don't know what is taking them...I had so hoped to show you ladies some of the current fruits of the dig."

Silence again. Haden looked around uncomfortably.

"You don't think...it couldn't be more trouble with the snakes, could it...?"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: