Ensnared
March 28, 2024, 03:43:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Big changes are coming soon!  Keep an eye open for more information!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register Chat  

In my daze, I came up with something amazing! Help needed!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In my daze, I came up with something amazing! Help needed!  (Read 430 times)
starofbalance

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:21 pm »

Current Update
RPGMaker VX Ace RTP: Needed to run the game
Last night, I was up until 4 AM with a new RPGMaker game I found

As I collapsed into bed, I had an amazing idea for a game...a game where not only are you being corrupted the conventional way, you're one of the "corruptors"

Basically, the game idea I had was this: The land it takes place in is under threat by powerful (mind controlling, corrupting) witches. The town you live in comes under attack as you're in your home. You rush out, and when the witch sees you, she says something to the effect of "Oh, I didn't know that there was already one of us here, I didn't mean to interfere."

Turns out, you're a witch, too, albeit it a fairly weak one. So you use your powers to drive her off, but in so doing, freak out the town a little bit. So, you must go on a quest to defeat the circle of witches before yada yada yada...I'm already working on quite a few scenes.

Here's the twist, though: using your powers is corruptive. The more you use your witch power, the deeper into darkness you delve. My idea is this is represented by the MP gauge, which would be renamed "Purity" most likely. If Purity reaches zero, you embrace your nature as one of the rulers of the world. If HP reaches zero, you're enslaved, obviously.

I'm thinking it wouldn't have random encounters so much as a chain of encounters, with each one making you a little stronger, and obviously I'd like to do standard game overs and standard Purity Depleted game overs. But for special encounters (Bosses and such), I'd like to see if there could be special Purity Depleted game overs. Maybe even throw in some side bosses

The problem is, while I can write scenes like mad...I'm kind of a poor programmer, even with RPGMaker, and a terrible spriter. I'm sure I can find oodles of sprites for what I want to do, but I can't get over the programming aspect. So if a programmer wants to partner with me to get this rolling...

I wouldn't mind a mapper, either. I'm terrible at maps, I make them too simple yet funny-looking.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:35:18 pm by starofbalance » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

starofbalance

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:12:28 pm »

Ladies and Gents, we have Proof of Concept!

http://www.filedropper.com/witchquest_1

Just run the program, extract wherever you like
Then open the folder and run game.exe
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:48:57 pm by starofbalance » Report Spam   Logged
DrgnmastrAlex
The one who won't let this place die >.>
Administrator

Lay off the poor beavers, will ya?! SHEESH!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »

I downloaded it just fine, but extracting it keeps failing.  >.>;
Report Spam   Logged

Can it wait? I'm just finishing up on some callibrations.
starofbalance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:40 pm »

Changelog 0.1.1
Features:
Purity is now implemented. Using magic will deplete Purity.
At the moment, current Purity is displayed after each turn.
A special skill has been added to instantly deplete Purity for testing purposes.

The witch encounter in Aura Town now has a game over event for depletion of purity.
Angel Statues will now restore Purity to maximum.
Side view battle system has been added.
Player Sprite has been changed.
A shifty character was been spotted in the Aura Inn, leaving behind a book after their stay.
World Map has been implemented.
A campsite has been spotted outside Aura Town
Forest has been implemented.

A boss battle has been added to Forest.
Catgirl Village has been implemented

There is no boss battle for Catgirl Village yet. After speaking with the mayor, you can opt to run the victory scene for a preview of upcoming content.
Quality Control and Bug Fixes:
Cleaned up switches for smoother flow.
Fixed bug where speaking to Mother after flashback did not immediately advance conversation.
Players Home now has background music.
Reduced system volume on most tracks.
Fixed bug where player could not exit chapel before witch encounter
Fixed bug where player could return to basement during witch encounter.
Report Spam   Logged
DrgnmastrAlex
The one who won't let this place die >.>
Administrator

Lay off the poor beavers, will ya?! SHEESH!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »

Looking forward to what's been updated.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Can it wait? I'm just finishing up on some callibrations.
starofbalance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:43:29 pm »

Right, so in my testing, I'm coming across a problem: Purity is not as meaningful as I would like; at the moment, it's just a thing that counts down during a battle and doesn't really come into effect at all, and it just triggers a game over anyway should you deplete it. I could create an extended bad end for each area, but that doesn't solve the fact it doesn't really feel organic. So I'm playing with a couple options

• A: Make it primarily storybased. This would be one of the more involved but I think more interesting things to implement. The choices you make would affect the powers you get, as well as changing the story subtly (and becoming more obvious as time goes on)
  • B: Alter the current plan: Basic magic will have little to no effect on Purity, but using stronger spells affects it greatly. As Purity depletes, your spells get stronger but drain purity faster. This would also be extremely hard to create.
  • C: A Combination of the above: The choices you make affect the powers you get, and using the 'darker' powers drains Purity and corrupts you further, altering the story. This alteration would probably be very intensive, completely changing the outlook of the game
  • D: Other. I'm always thinking.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: